Decision Maker: Leader of the Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
On 7 March 2018 Council resolved to introduce the Westminster Community Contribution scheme to allow higher value properties in the city to voluntary contribute towards funding local discretionary services. Residents were invited to make their contributions to the City of Westminster Charitable Trust (the Trust). The purpose of this report is to renew the governance arrangements between the Council and the Trust in relation to the collection of the contributions.
That the Leader of the Council approvesthat:
· For a fixed period of four years to 28 February 2023 the Council fundraises on behalf of the Trust to support youth services in Westminster, helping rough sleepers off the streets at night in Westminster, and helping lonely and isolated people in Westminster. All fundraising activities undertaken by the Council shall comply with the Code of Fundraising Practice issued by the Fundraising Regulator (an independent regulator of charitable fundraising)
· Any fundraising activity undertaken by the Council after 28 February 2023 require a further formal decision by theCouncil.
· In the event contributions under the scheme are made direct to the Council the Section 151 Officer makes provision to transfer to the Trust any such contributions unless otherwise specified by thecontributor.
· The Chief Executive to make provision to provide administrative and financial support to the charity as deemed mutually appropriate between them and the Trustees of thecharity
· The Council to comply with data processing principles whensoliciting donations from the residents on behalf of thecharity.
1. Between 17 November 2017 and 15 December 2017, the Council consulted with all Band H Council tax paying properties on a proposal to allow people living in the City’s highest value properties to pay a voluntary contribution to support local priorities and projects. The consultation found a significant showing of support for the scheme.
2. Since launching, the scheme has proved to be very successful and has to date raised over £600,000 for local projects.
Publication date: 03/03/2019
Date of decision: 03/03/2019