Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration, Cabinet Member for Sports, Culture and Community
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The development of a new community sports centre and 56 homes on the former Jubilee Sports Centre site.
1.1 That this report be exempt from disclosure by virtue of the Local Government Act 1972, Schedule 12A Part 1, paragraph 3 (as amended), in that it contains information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information).
1.2 That the Cabinet Members agreed to;
· Approve Phase 2 of this project to proceed, in accordance with the steps outlined in this report.
· Authorise a mitigation payment as capital expenditure, subject to any required Secretary of State consent and no State Aid implications being confirmed as detailed in the legal implications (section 9) of this report.
· Approve additional budget for:
· securing the site
· carrying out minor pre-commencement works prior to the completion of the legal agreements to allow an accelerated construction works programme
· property and legal advice associated with the delivery of Phase 2 of this project.
· procurement of fit-out works and FF&E equipment for the new community Jubilee Sports Centre.
· Approve for the General Fund to invest into WHIL to forward fund 19 units on Jubilee phase 2, subject to approval of the WHIL board.
· Delegate authority to the Executive Director of Growth Planning and Housing working with the Director of Law to;
· Agree the negotiated mitigation position with EcoWorld to reduce the land value to zero.
· Approve all necessary legal documentation and variations as required for the project. This is including but not limited to, making variations required in the Development Agreement, entering into supplemental agreements regarding the forward fund of the 19 homes and any other agreement as deemed necessary to facilitate the delivery of the scheme, subject to Section 123 valuation.
· If required, apply for Secretary of State consent, to enable Phase 2 of this project to proceed.
· Finalise the ‘Post Planning Appraisal’ for the project as required by the Development Agreement’s mitigation clause and as detailed in the Financial Implications section of this report.
2. Reasons for Decision
2.1 Approval of the recommendations contained within this report would enable the Active Queens Park project to conclude and realise a significant capital investment in new sports facilities within the Queens Park area. As part of this, this decision would permit the Jubilee Sports Centre to be constructed now, in accordance with the current detailed planning consent.
2.2 Cabinet Member approval was now required for the project to enable Council officers to agree to the negotiated mitigation position with EcoWorld to permit the commencement of Phase 2 of this project.
2.3 Since the closure of Jubilee Sports Centre, the site had been illegally occupied and attracted graffiti. This had been managed and rectified by Council Officers but a start on site would help to alleviate these issues for the benefit of the local neighbourhood going forward.
Publication date: 12/12/2019
Date of decision: 12/12/2019
Effective from: 20/12/2019