Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration, Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Establishment of the estate and property management arrangements for the management of Beachcroft.
b) To allow the GCH (Alan Morkill House) Ltd to mobilise Beachcroft House Care Home and undertake the transition of services from Carlton Dene and Westmead to Beachcroft House Care Home.
2) That the Cabinet Member for Finance, Property and Regeneration gave approval to grant a lease to GCH (Alan Morkill House) Ltd for a period of 9 months from September 2020 to June 2021.
1) The fundamental reason for granting a lease to occupy Beachcroft and offer a 6-month extension to the current interim contract to GCH (Alan Morkill House) Limited was to ensure and secure immediate continuity of essential services to vulnerable residents currently living within Carlton Dene and Westmead and their move in to Beachcroft. The Care Quality Commission also required the care provider to evidence that it held a lease that allowed it to provide care on the premises or it would not pass registration and not be able to open. The contract extension also allowed time to procure the longer-term care provider.
2) The Council had a clear duty around service provision under the Care Act 2014:
· The Council has a duty to carry out an assessment of anyone who appears to require care and provide or organise support as required.
3) There were also several key national and local drivers informing the need for ongoing service provision, including:
· Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2020.
· England’s National Dementia Strategy.
· Bi Borough Health and Well Being Board Dementia Plan.
· The Council’s future plans for the commissioning and provision of high-quality and excellent residential care for our residents;
· City for All.
4) The 6-month contract extension to 17th June 2021 would enable the Council the time required to fully and properly procure a long-term provider to undertake care at Beachcroft House. Ensuring that the procurement exercise makes the most of national, regional and local best practice in full and open engagement with market, this would enable an effective and value for money public procurement exercise to be undertaken.
Publication date: 01/09/2020
Date of decision: 01/09/2020
Effective from: 09/09/2020