Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for City Management
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
That the Cabinet Member for City Management:
1.1 Approved the detailed design and scheme implementation of the enhanced temporary highway improvements for a minimum 18-month period, set out in section 4.2 of this report, and as shown on the plan included in Appendix B.
1.2 Approved the necessary capital expenditure totalling £2,683,307 for the detailed design and scheme implementation of the scheme. All costs are to be recovered in full by The Crown Estate in accordance with the section 278 agreement.
1.3 Delegated authority to the Executive Director of City Management to enter into an agreement with The Crown Estate under section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 for the delivered Regent Street Enhanced Temporary Highway Improvements scheme.
1.4 Delegated authority to the Executive Director of City Management for the modification of traffic regulation orders in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984, necessary to accommodate the enhanced temporary highway improvements for a minimum 18-month period.
1.5 The objective of the temporary arrangement is to significantly improve the accessibility, functionality and local amenity of the public realm along the Regent Street corridor for a minimum 18 month period which will entice visitors back to the area supporting the local economy.
1.6 The plans are shown in Appendix B and included the following temporary interventions:
· Widening of the footways with temporary materials creating approximately 5,000 square meters of additional space for pedestrians, to improve visitors’ experience, support social distancing and improve accessibility.
· Improved provision for cyclists, including the introduction of cycle lanes and new cycle parking hubs and stands
· Enhancing bus stops with accessible boarding and space for waiting
· Planters with trees and greenery introduced helping to boost biodiversity, improve air quality, and provide visual public security protection, further enhancing Regent’s Street’s iconic John Nash design.
· New seating installed, creating places for people to pause and rest
· Adjusting surface water drainage across the scheme.
Publication date: 06/05/2021
Date of decision: 06/05/2021
Effective from: 15/05/2021