Venue: Westminster Council House, 97-113 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5PT
Contact: Janis Best, Committee and Councillor Support Manager Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07971 920521
Appointment of Relief Chairman
To appoint a relief Chairman.
To sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council meeting held on 10 November 2021.
Lord Mayor's Communications
The Lord Mayor to report that, on Friday October
29th he attended an Honorary Stewards' Evensong and
Reception at The Abbey & Westminster School.
2. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Tuesday 2nd November he attended a screening of 'Shongram' at the Everyman Cinema Maida Vale.
3. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Wednesday 3rd November he attended a CAPCO Armistice Day Commemoration & Reception at Covent Garden Piazza.
4. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Saturday 6th November he attended a Film Screening for Westminster Libraries' Summer Reading Challenge at the Odeon Leicester Square.
5. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Monday 8th November he attended the Soho Parish School Christmas Lights Event at the Ham Yard Hotel and Soho Parish School.
6. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Tuesday 9th November he attended the High Sheriff’s Thanksgiving Service at Southwark Cathedral and the Past Overseers’ Dinner at
the In and Out Club.
7. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Wednesday 10th November he attended the Merry Marylebone Christmas Lights and Shopping Event in Marylebone.
8. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Thursday 11th November he attended a visit to Field of Remembrance & the Remembrance Sunday Rehearsal at Westminster Abbey.
9. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Friday 12th November he attended the New West End Company Christmas Lights Event in the West End.
10. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Saturday 13th November he attended the Lord Mayor’s Show & Luncheon at Mansion House and the Royal Albert Hall’s Festival of Remembrance.
11. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Sunday 14th November he attended the Remembrance Sunday Service at Westminster Abbey and the Paddington Remembrance Service in Lancaster Gate.
12. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th November he was in Oslo for the Tree Felling engagement.
13. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Wednesday 17th November he attended the HM The Queen's Green Canopy Planting Event in Hyde Park and the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry Reception in Lincoln’s Inn.
14. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Thursday 18th November he attended the Westminster Property Association Annual Lunch at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane and the NWEC Reception Event at Fenwick.
15. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Friday 19th November he attended the St Clement Danes Commemoration Service at St Clement Danes Church and the Active Westminster Awards at Porchester Hall.
16. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Sunday 21st November he attended the AJEX Remembrance Parade & Ceremony at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
17. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Wednesday 24th November he attended the Bryanston and Dorset Square Lights event at St Mary’s Church.
18. The Lord Mayor to report that, on Thursday 25th November he attended the Royal Engineers Awards Dinner at the ... view the full agenda text for item 3.
Declarations of Interest
Statement on Urgent Matters
With the approval of the chairman of the meeting, the Leader of the Council may make a statement on an urgent matter and the Leader of the Opposition will have an equivalent right of reply.
Petitions and Deputations, if any
The Lord Mayor will call Members who have indicated that they wish to ask a question after the Leader of the Opposition has asked his questions.
Councillor Lorraine Dean – Diverse Recruitment at Westminster City Council and with our Community Business partners.
To consider items for debate from the attached Future Policy Plan.
To receive, consider and debate, if chosen, the following report which contains a recommendation to the Council for approval and adoption.
Notices of Motion
To be moved by Councillor David Boothroyd and seconded by Councillor Geoff Barraclough:
This Council acknowledges the embarrassment caused to Westminster residents by the failed Marble Arch Mound, its unexpected £6 million pound cost to local taxpayers, as well as the political and management failures exposed by the Council’s internal review.
This Council notes the significant delays in delivering promised improvements to the Oxford Street District. £20 million has so far been spend on consultants while little has changed on the ground, even though this time hasn’t been used to properly consult residents on important measures such as the Oxford Circus piazzas.
This Council notes the slow progress in obtaining private sector support for schemes in the Oxford Street District and the failure to obtain substantial contributions for other major capital projects such as the £32m Strand Aldwych scheme.
This Council notes the protracted discussions around the future of Huguenot House and concerns over emerging plans to turn it into a £100m casino.
This Council notes the use of CIL and Section 106 funding to support the poorly thought-out vanity projects such as the Sir Simon Milton University Technical College and the Minerva Free School
This Council believes the failures of the Marble Arch Mound project have damaged public confidence in Westminster Council’s ability to deliver major projects.
This Council believes it is imperative that public realm schemes which deliver increased property values for major landowners are properly supported with substantial financial contributions from those who stand to benefit, including ensuring the Oxford Street District project achieves at least matched funding against the Council’s contribution.
This Council resolves to commission an independent audit of its major capital projects to ensure taxpayers get value for money.
This Council further resolves to cease exploratory work on the conversion of Huguenot House into a casino.