Venue: Westminster Council House, 97-113 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5PT
Contact: Reuben Segal, Head of Committee and Governance Services Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07890 380137
Appointment of Relief Chairman
To appoint a relief Chairman.
To sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council meeting held on 13 November 2019
Lord Mayor's Communications
1. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 1 November, she attended a reception at Westminster Abbey’s Church House to celebrate the career of the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, Dean of Westminster, on the occasion of his retirement.
2. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 7 November, she attended the launch of the National Emergencies Trust at St Martin In the Field’s Church, in the presence of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
3. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 7 November, she visited the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey to lay wreaths and crosses on behalf of the Citizens of Westminster.
4. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 8 November, she attended the London Assembly’s Remembrance Day Service at London’s City Hall.
5. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 8 November, she attended the Lord Mayor’s Show in the City of London.
6. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 8 November, she attended the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, in the presence of HM The Queen and many other members of the Royal Family.
7. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 9 November, she attended the Remembrance Sunday Service at Westminster Abbey, leading Westminster in Remembrance.
8. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 14 November, she hosted an event for the Westminster Rusty Players Orchestra in the Lord Mayor’s Parlour.
9. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 16 November, she attended the Installation of The Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle at Westminster Abbey.
10. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 17 November, she attended the AJEX Cenotaph Parade at the Cenotaph and following reception in Whitehall.
11. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 19 November, she felled the Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree on the outskirts of Oslo, with the Mayor of Oslo, Marianne Borgen.
12. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 20 November, she attended a Vin D'Honneur for the Ambassador of the Kyrgyz Republic, at the Royal Society of Arts.
13. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 22 November, she attended the Active Westminster Awards at Porchester Hall.
14. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 28 November, she attended the Royal Engineers Annual Awards Dinner at the Institution of Civil Engineers.
15. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 5 December, she led the Lighting Up Ceremony of the Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree, in Trafalgar Square, with Marianne Borgen, the Mayor of Oslo.
16. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 11 December, she attended the Diplomatic Reception at Buckingham Palace, hosted by HM The Queen and other members of the Royal Family.
17. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 16 December, she attended a Chanukkah Multi-Faith Celebration at the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in St John’s Wood.
18. The Lord Mayor to report that, on 19 December, she attended the State Opening of Parliament in the House of Lords.
19. The Lord Mayor to report ... view the full agenda text for item 3.
Declarations of Interest
Election of The Leader of the Council
To be moved by the Chief Whip of the Majority Party.
(a) To elect a new Leader of the Council. The appointment to be effective immediately.
(b) To consider a Vote of Thanks to the outgoing Leader of the Council.
Statement on Urgent Matters
With the approval of the Chairman of the meeting, the Leader of the Council may make a statement on an urgent matter and the Leader of the Opposition will have an equivalent right of reply.
Petitions and Deputations, If any
The Lord Mayor will call Members who indicate that they wish to ask a question after the Leader of the Opposition has asked his questions.
Councillor Aicha Less - “Homeless -V- Intentionally Homeless”
Councillor Elizabeth Hitchcock - Air Quality in Westminster”
To receive, consider and debate, if chosen, the following report which contains a recommendation to the Council for decision.
Appendix C - Council Tax Discounts (including Council Tax Local Reduction Scheme) and Council Tax Base report: 2 January 2020
Notice of Motion
Moved by Councillor Adam Hug and seconded by Councillor David Boothroyd
This Council notes the recent decision to bring CityWest Homes back under direct Council control and the recent problems with Council contracting such as Sanctuary Care.
This Council notes and welcomes the recent decision to fulfil the requirements of Living Wage Accreditation. This will reduce the ability of outsourcing companies to slash staff pay and conditions which will limit their capacity to cut costs below that of an in-house provider.
This Council notes the decreasing number of bidders for major contracts and that competition between providers no longer delivers cost savings.
This Council believes that there are benefits for residents to be gained from having Council services under directly accountable democratic control, including greater opportunities for integration and collaboration with other Council services.
This Council resolves to ask the Executive to amend Westminster’s contracting processes to fully consider, where practicable, the option for all Council contracts and services to be delivered in-house when they next come up for renewal or re-tender.
This Council resolves that should the Council wish a service to be delivered by an external company, they must explicitly set out the benefits to the Council and residents of that decision, setting clear benchmarks against which performance can be measured.
This Council resolves to ask the Executive to increase the volume of services delivered directly by Westminster City Council.
The Council resolves to ask the Executive to increase the participation of local SMEs and voluntary sector organisations in Council contracting and procurement, where such contracts are not best delivered in-house.