Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The decision seeks approval for the next steps of the project to revitalise Regent Street and Haymarket.
Cabinet approved the following recommendations:
· Noted the findings from the 'Future of Regent Street' ("Regent Street") engagement, and approve the vision and project priorities to guide the development of the public realm design from All Souls to Regent’s Crescent.
· Approved the partner requirements for Regent Street to make financial contributions totalling £1,786,000 (£893K each) to continue to progress the first phase ("Phase 1") of the project.
· Noted the work to date by The Crown Estate on the vision and priorities for Haymarket District Plan and the planned development investment for this part of the West End, and agree to extend the scope of the Regent Street project to include Haymarket, Charles II Street, Jermyn Street East and Pall Mall East public realm ("Haymarket"), and to consider proposals for Piccadilly Circus and Pall Mall East as part of a second phase ("Phase 2") of the project.
· Approved the partner requirements for Haymarket and Piccadilly Circus to secure financial contributions totalling £2,200,000 (£1.1m each) to continue to progress Haymarket and Piccadilly Circus ("Phase 2b") of the project, and agree that the £4m capital funding approved by Full Council on 8 March 2023 for Regent Street can also be utilised for this Phase.
· Approved the concept of piloting and testing of ideas for the Regent Street and Haymarket projects to support the evidence-based approach for the public realm and highways design. The implementation of any pilots will be delegated to the Director of City Highways in conversation with the Cabinet Member for City Management and Air Quality.
· Delegated any decisions relating to the above scope to the Cabinet Member for City Management and Air Quality leading up to the public consultation in 2025 on the final public realm proposals for Phases 1 and 2.
Reasons for decision
This report approves the next steps for a permanent public realm scheme for Regent Street and Haymarket, following extensive public engagement undertaken by the Council and the Crown Estate in summer 2023.
Report author: Debbie Jackson
Publication date: 29/01/2024
Date of decision: 29/01/2024
Decided at meeting: 29/01/2024 - Cabinet
Effective from: 06/02/2024