Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for City Highways
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. That the Cabinet Member for City Highways welcomed the petition but deferred any decision on a Zebra crossing until the outcome of the 20MPH trial was complete.
2. That the Cabinet Member for City Highways noted that a response has been provided to the issue raised in the petition and that the lead petitioner is advised of the action to be taken in respect of this matter.
Reasons for Decision
1. To respond to the issue raised in the petition presented by Councillor Patricia McAllister to the Full Council meeting on 12th July 2017.
2. A zebra crossing should not be implemented at this stage for the following reasons:
· The accident data for the area did not currently indicate an intervention was necessary.
· The 20MPH trial should reduce traffic speeds, and would collect data on traffic volumes and speeds.
· The crossing point outside the school was already supported by a school crossing patrol officer.
· There was no assigned budget to cover the likely costs of c.£100k for the study, design and works for the crossing.
Publication date: 05/09/2017
Date of decision: 05/09/2017